"Conservation makes good conversation – but talk alone is not enough. We must act to develop the full potential of our lands and waters, forests and wildlife. Conservation is everybody's responsibility."
1962 Otter Creek Conservation Report
In the mid 1940's when conservationists were struggling to come up with new approaches to deal with the problems of soil loss and flooding, deforestation and the loss of fish and wildlife habitat, the idea of watersheds as a logical management unit took firm hold. The wisdom of that concept is just as relevant today as it was then.
In 1946, the Ontario government passed the Conservation Authorities Act which allowed conservation authorities to be formed to manage natural resources on a watershed basis where there was local, community interest and commitment. That community spirit and commitment was evident locally as residents of the Long Point Region watershed responded quickly to this legislation.
In 1948, Big Creek Valley Conservation Authority was formed as the eighth conservation authority in Ontario. A few years later in 1954, a similar body was established in the neighbouring Otter Creek watershed. The two authorities were formed to help address local concerns about flood control, soil conservation and water quality. From the beginning, the early authorities recognized that all depend on the natural resources for good health, well being and a high standard of living. The debt owing to these people of spirit and foresight has not gone unheeded.
Big Creek and Otter Creek Conservation Authorities were the culmination of years of work by local farmers and conservationists. These men laid the foundation for conservation in the Long Point Region watershed. The two neighbouring authorities talked informally about amalgamation for a few years before coming together on January 1, 1971 as the Long Point Region Conservation Authority.