Scene at the beach
Credit E. Hartlen

The Long Point Region Conservation Authority (LPRCA) performs a number of important roles in the land use planning and development process. In these roles, LPRCA derives its authority from the Conservation Authorities Act and its associated Regulations, and from the Ontario Planning Act.

The LPRCA has the responsibility to regulate activities in flood plains and hazardous areas in order to:

  • prevent the loss of life and property due to flooding and erosion, and
  • protect features and functions of dynamic beaches, watercourses and wetlands

This is done through the application of regulations affecting areas in and near rivers streams, floodplains, wetlands, slopes and the Lake Erie shoreline. LPRCA is authorized under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act to implement and enforce the Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation (Ontario Regulation 178/06).

The LPRCA also works with municipalities to review development applications under the Ontario Planning Act to ensure they meet local and provincial guidelines.

In September 2000, LPRCA entered into the agreement with Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to review proposed works in and around water for potential impacts to fish and fish habitat pursuant to Section 35 of the federal Fisheries Act. With recent amendments to the Fisheries Act, our partnership agreement has come to an end as of November 25, 2013.

DFO and Conservation Ontario are working to develop a new Memorandum of Understanding / Partnership Agreement under the new Fisheries Protection Program. In the meantime, applicants can learn more at the DFO website - DFO may also be contacted directly by phone at 1 855 852-8320 or by email at The website has all the information proponents need to self-assess their project and if required, submit an application to DFO.

Before buying property or undertaking any work on your property, it is best to call ahead and see if you live in a regulated area and if your project requires a permit.